Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The perfect Golf Cigar

Over the last several years I have been trying different cigars to enjoy while playing golf.  The difference between smoking a cigar in a relaxing environment, sitting in a chair while enjoying a nice beverage among friends, is a whole different experience than smoking one while playing a round of golf.  I usually walk 18 holes with a push cart.  However, it is the same experience while riding in a golf cart. 
I am not bothered so much with a cigar flavor like I usually strive for on other occasions. I am more interested in how long a cigar stays lit and its ability to smoke it after having sat in my cigar clip while hitting the golf shot.  I hate having to constantly relight the cigar constantly between puffs.
In my experiments, I tried many different brands and types of cigars to try and find the ones that will be great to play golf with.  Here is what I found.  Size matters.  The larger ring cigars such as Gordo size tend to stay lit longer.  However, in addition they have to be loosely made.   Even the large sizes if they have been rolled very tight will not stay lit as long.  Maybe it is the air/oxygen that gets in the leaves that lets them burn longer without being puffed on that makes the difference.
Cigars like E.P. Carrillo Inch seemed to work very well and still fit in the cigar clips that attach to your cart.  Buy the larger size 50 ring cigars and test them by rolling in your fingers lightly.  If they compress nicely, I think you will find that you have a much more enjoyable round.

No comments:

Post a Comment