Friday, March 22, 2013

Rookie Rantings - Obsidian Robusto

I'm not sure my buddy Steve knew what he was doing when he gave me the reins to his log, but since I have them...let's ride this thing!  :-)  I'm new to cigar smoking so many of you may completely disagree with my opinions.  That's the great thing about opinions, they're ours and we're right (until convinced otherwise).

Last night I smoked an Obsidian Robusto (5.5" x 54).  It was part of a sampler I purchased (that's about all I'm purchasing right now).  The Obsidian had a nice aroma. It burned well and had a very nice draw.  The ash was kind of funky.  Many of the other cigars I've had the ash stayed together.  This cigar kind of "splintered" and I could see the leaf "veins."  I don't know what that means, but it was interesting.  I consider this a medium bodied cigar with a decent flavor.  I don't know Steve's rating scale well enough to rate this cigar, so for now I'd say I'd consider having this again (unless something better is available).

2 comments:

  1. I like the comment about veins on the cigar. It is good to get a perspective from a new smoker on what you see that is interesting. There is actually a lot of interest and information on the outer wrapper of a cigar Bill. One of the most common wrappers you will see on cigars is called Conneticut Shade. The reason for this as a wrapper is because of the lack of veins on the cigar, which makes it a very smooth look.
    This happens because of the tobacco used, the climate up north, and that they actually grow this with huge amounts of covering to let just the right amount of light in. Many smokers do not like the veins because it can cause issues with the burn and flavor of the cigar. Here is some links that discusses this topic in more detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_shade_tobacco
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Made-In-the-Shade-Connecticut-Shade_7285

    Your cigar had these specs:
    Ring: 5x54
    Wrapper: Dominican Maduro
    Filler: Nicaraguan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. I'm glad I said something about the veins, because I thought it was a little weird. I think it did affect the burn (which was a bit uneven).

    Thanks for the feedback buddy.

    ReplyDelete